Today is Harry Potter’s 38th birthday, so I felt like a post was necessary!
As a kid I was not interested in reading Harry Potter. I remember checking it out of the library, and then never finishing the first book. I saw the movies right when they came out, and I still watch all of them about once a year. When I was younger, Harry Potter didn’t fit into my genre of books I liked reading.
I visited Harry Potter World with my boyfriend a year ago though, and it was so amazing! From the Butterbeer to the Hogwarts Express, no detail got left out of this amazing park. I think I could go back once a week and still find something new to look at each time.
Since then I have read the first four books, and I plan to read the last three soon. J.K. Rowling is an absolute genius, and her writing is unparalleled.
Harry Potter’s influence on my generation, as well as younger and older generations, should always be celebrated.
(I’m a Ravenclaw, by the way.)
So a couple of weeks ago, I tried out for Season Two of Netflix’s baking show “Nailed It.” They have not announced the people who did make the cut for Season 2, but I haven’t heard back, so I assume that mine did not make it. They did comment that it was hilarious, so I can walk away knowing I at least made an impression. I had so much fun making the cookie for my entry, so I wanted to show it to y’all.
If you haven’t watched the show, it plays off of people always saying “Nailed It” when they attempt a masterful Pinterest creation, only for theirs to be pretty awful. The show is so funny, and I highly recommend it.
My little creation was no exception to the Pinterest fails. I have always been able to bake well, but decorating is a completely different story. It took me over two hours to do this, and I had never used royal icing before, but it turned out much better than expected. The challenge was to bake a cookie and decorate it to match one of my selfies, and then upload it to social media and tag them.
Doing this challenge has inspired me to continue trying to become a better decorator for baked goods, in the hopes that one day I won’t completely embarrass my future children.
Did I “Nail It”?
Hi, my name is Julie and I love audiobooks. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.
I am old school when it comes to reading. I refuse to get a Kindle, because it feels like I’m cheating on my books. Maybe one day I’ll break down and get one, but nothing will ever be able to replace the feel and smell of a real book.
One thing I have no problem welcoming into my life are audiobooks. They are the best thing to ever happen to driving. They allow me to “read” while I otherwise cannot, whether I’m driving or it’s dark in a car I’m riding in. They also give my eyes a rest, and after a day of staring at my computer and going through files, my eyes thank me for not reading a normal book. .
I’m currently “reading” (listening) to John Grisham’s The Whistler. Per usual, it’s an incredible book and he is everything I aspire to be in an author. It’s about judicial misconduct, murder, money, and a whole slew of other topics.
Audiobooks are easy to download and easy to listen to, but my favorite recent discovery is the app OverDrive. It has won me over even more for audiobooks, because it utilizes my library. You enter in your library card information and link your library, and you can check out ebooks and audiobooks onto your phone. I love this, because for me anything that keeps the county library relevant is a good idea in my book. (No pun intended).
What are you currently reading? I would love to hear from you!
Thank you so much GaillovesGod for nominating me to do this! I’m excited to share a little about myself with my followers 🙂
Below are questions & answers for all of the nominees ❤
- What are my strengths?
- I’m not easily intimidated.
- I don’t take no for an answer.
- I can talk to anyone about anything.
- What are my short term goals?
- To continue to blog regularly.
- To get my health back to normal.
- I’d like to be accepted onto a baking show that I entered a contest for.
- What are my long term goals?
- To write my book and get it published.
- To run for public office and be elected.
- Who matters the most to me?
- My family
- My boyfriend Johnny
- My friends
- My English bulldog Nugget
- What am I ashamed of?
- That I’ve gained weight.
- That I’m not always grateful for what I have in life.
- What do I like to do for fun?
- I love going to Disney World with my boyfriend.
- I love going to Clemson football games.
- I love a good glass of wine and a book.
- What new activities am I willing to try?
- I’d like to try white water rafting.
- What am I worried about?
- Not living up to my potential and wasting the talents I have been given.
- What are my values?
- My values come from God and my momma.
- If I had one wish, it would be…?
- to be able to talk with my cousin David.
- Where do I feel the safest?
- What or who gives me comfort?
- If I was afraid, I would…?
- What is my proudest accomplishment?
- Passing the Bar exam and being admitted to the South Carolina Bar
- Am I a night owl or early bird?
- What does my inner critic tell me?
- That I can be better than I am, and I’m not living up to my potential.
- What do I do to show my self, self-care?
- I love getting my nails done.
- I love going to yoga.
- Am I an introvert or extrovert?
- I am an extroverted introvert. I enjoy talking to other people and being with other people, but I retreat to my corner as soon as I can.
- What am I passionate about?
- politics, a good cup of coffee, and Clemson football
- What do my dreams tell me?
- That I need to work on being less anxious.
- What is my favourite non-fiction book?
- The only Non-fiction book I read is the Bible. I read some biographies every now and then, but the Bible will always be my favorite non-fiction book!
- What is my favourite fiction book?
- This is the hardest question on here by far. I love anything by Agatha Christie, John Grisham, the Hannah Swensen mysteries by JoAnne Fluke, and growing up Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew were all I would read.
- What is my favourite movie?
- What is my favourite band?
- the Beatles or the Eagles depending on my mood
- What is my favourite food?
- What is my favourite colour?
- What am I grateful for?
- That I have a family that loves me and has sacrificed to get me to the point that I am today.
- That I have a God who forgives every wrong I have ever made.
- When I am feeling down, I like to?
- I know I am stressed when?
- I feel anxious or my face is breaking out.
Thanks for nominating me GaillovesGod!
Alexx’s Keto Avenue
I am so excited about this. Getting people to follow my blog has been exponentially harder than Instagram or Twitter followers. I feel like it’s easier to get followers on other platforms, mainly because there are more people on those sites. Most of the people I know in real life all have an Instagram or a Twitter or Facebook, but most do not have a blog.
So, I’m super excited that I have 106 followers as of today! Thank you all so much for caring about the things I write and what I have to say. It means so much!
Today is Dr. Seuss’s birthday, and I thought I’d share some of my favorite quotes to get you through this last day of the work week! Happy Friday friends!
Reblogged from Buzzfeed ~ “There are two kinds of people: people who use bookmarks, and monsters.” Jarry Lee ~ BuzzFeed Deputy Books Editor ~ 1. Kayla Yandoli / BuzzFeed . 2. media.bookbub.com . 3. Cathy Ngo / BuzzFeed . 4. Kayla Yandoli / BuzzFeed . 5. Kayla Yandoli / BuzzFeed . 6. media.bookbub.com . 7. https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/t9b5junpPVsV4dotezqmug/58523588092?width=542&language=en_US&did=0dada0793731574ed50fefef4d99fbef9677bb82 %5B…%5D
via Share-It Saturday: 50 Hilarious Memes You’ll Relate To If You Love Books — Vampires, Crime and Angels…Eclectic Me